The Discoverers Sunday school class is being called to pass on God's love, and we need your help to fulfill it!
This past Sunday, we were asking for prayers for several friends in the Baton Rouge area who have experienced loss from the recent rainstorms and floodwaters. We discussed our memories of Hurricane Katrina and the wonderful help we received following it. After hearing Rev.Jon's sermon about answering God's call, we decided we needed to do something. Our leader Tommy Carroll immediately began planning.
We have set a goal of 30 UMCOR cleanup buckets, but we would love even more. In less than two weeks, a class member will carry the buckets to the Baton Rouge area to disperse them to friends and families there. We know that UMCOR places a $65 value on the buckets, but we have been able to skillfully shop to price the items for a bucket to $49.69. That puts the total for 30 buckets at $1,490.70.
There are several ways you can help us achieve this calling:
1. First, pray for all the victims of the weather events along the Gulf Coast region. Let them know God is there with them through this difficult time. Also, pray for all of the emergency personnel who are working tirelessly to care for all.
2. Support us with a monetary donation by Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 5:00 p.m.since we are shopping on Monday, August 22 in the morning. It does not have to be the full bucket price. Even $5 - $10 will add up. No gift is too little.
3. Write a supportive note sharing God's love that we will put in the bucket. This can be a picture drawn by a child, a short handwritten note, or even a Bible verse.
4. Help assemble the buckets on Monday, August 22, 2016 at 5:00 p.m. in the Youth Hall.
5. Assemble your own completed bucket with friends or family and bring it to church.
6. Help load all buckets for delivery on Thursday, August 25, 206 at 8:00 a.m. at the Youth Hall.
If you have any questions or want to know more, please contact Tommy Carroll at 228-547-3237.
Anyone interested in singing in the cantata "Jesus", please come join us on Wednesday, August 31st at 6:00 p.m. for a pot luck dinner and cantata kick off.
A Men's Retreat will be held at Palmer Creek Methodist Camp Ground in Saucier, MS, September 9th - 10th. Cost will be $30.00 per person that will cover cabin rentals and study guide. (Arrive for 5:00 pm Friday evening and depart mid-day Saturday). This will be a great time of fellowship, food, manly activities and devotion for the men of the FUMCLB and The Well. A signup sheet will be available in the narthex and lobby of The Well until September 4th. Please list your name, contact information and email address.
Join us for Pancakes with the Police on Saturday, August 27th, from 7:30-9:30 a.m. in the Christian Life Center. Come be a part of the conversation between our community and our community's protectors! The official "Q and A time" will be 8:30 a.m. Breakfast is free for both police officers and the community. We also have the opportunity to provide a gift, including the devotional Strength for Service, for the 51 members of the staff of the Long Beach Police Department. If you would like to sponsor a gift, please drop a donation of $15 in the offering plate or bring it by the church office and designate it for this purpose.
Just a reminder, you can go to our website at fumclb.org and click on the Online Giving button to make giving quick and easy.
Our College Ministry Team sends care packages and greeting cards to our church's undergraduate college students throughout the school year. Students and parents can help us obtain the information to include them in this ministry by contacting Jamie Carroll at 228-547-3277 by September 1st. Also, contact Jamie if you are interested in joining our College Ministry Team.
It's time to begin another school year, and that includes sending packages to our college students to let them know we are praying for them throughout the year. If you would like to donate items to be included in these packages, there will be a container at both the Main Campus and The Well throughout the month of August. Items for donation may include back-to-school supplies, snacks, or small items for a student's dorm room / first apartment.